Ph.D. (1995) Duke University
- Sandy Beaver Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Georgia, 2013
- Research Interests -
- I am interested in a variety of evolutionary questions that can be addressed using mathematical models or experimental evolution. Recent work includes using mathematical models to address the evolution of meiotic drive, the rate and pattern of molecular evolution in social insects, and early sex chromosome evolution. In the lab, I utilize different yeast species to study spontaneous mutations using a combination of both mutation-accumulation and adaptation experiments. In addition to these primary areas of research, the lab has pursued several side-projects (see publications), some of which are described on my lab site.
- Stanger-Hall, K. F., S. E. Sander Lower, L. Lindberg, A. Hopkins, J. Pallansch, D. W. Hall. 2018. The evolution of sexual signal modes and associated sensor morphology in fireflies (Lampyridae, Coleoptera). In press. Proc. Royal Soc. B. (cover)
- Hall. D. W. and R. K. Dawe. 2018. Modeling the evolution of female meiotic drive in maize. In press. Genes | Genomes | Genetics. Featured article.
- Higgins, D. M., E. G. Lowry, L. B. Kanizay, P. W. Becraft, D. W. Hall and R. K. Dawe. 2018. Fitness costs and variation in transmission distortion associated with the abnormal chromosome 10 meiotic drive system in maize. In press. Genetics.
- Hofmeister, B. T., K. Lee, N. A. Rohr, D. W. Hall, R. J. Schmitz. 2017. Stable inheritance of DNA methylation allows creation of epigenotype maps and the study of epiallele inheritance patterns in the absence of genetic variation. Genome Biology 18:155
- Lower, S. S., J. S. Johnston, K. F. Stanger-Hall, C. E, Hjelmen, S. J. Hanrahan, K. Korunes, and D. W. Hall. 2017. Genome Size in North American Fireflies: Substantial Variation Likely Driven by Neutral Processes. Genome Biology and Evolution 9: 1499-1512.
- Behringer, M. G. and D. W. Hall. 2016. Selection on position of nonsense codons in introns. Genetics 204: 1239–1248.
- Geiler-Samerotte, K. A., Y. O. Zhu, B. E. Goulet, D. W. Hall and M. L. Siegal. 2016. Selection transforms the landscape of genetic variation interacting with Hsp90. PLoS Biol 14: e2000465. doi:10.1371/ journal.pbio.2000465
- Hall, D. W.*, S. E. Sander*, J. C, Pallansch, and K. F. Stanger-Hall. 2016. The evolution of adult light emission color in North American fireflies. Evolution 79: 2033-2048. (* equal contribution)
- Behringer, M. G. and D. W. Hall. 2016. The repeatability of genome-wide mutation rate and spectrum estimates. Current Genetics 62:507-12. doi: 10.1007/s00294-016-0573-7
- Bewick A. J., B. T. Hofmeister, K. Lee, X. Zhang, D. W. Hall, and R. J. Schmitz. 2016. FASTmC: A suite of predictive models for non-reference-based estimations of DNA methylation. Genes | Genomes | Genetics 6:447-52. doi: 10.1534/g3.115.025668
- Behringer, M.G. and D. W. Hall. 2016. Genome wide estimates of mutation rates and spectrum in Schizosaccharomyces pombe indicate CpG sites are highly mutagenic despite the absence of DNA methylation. Genes | Genomes | Genetics 6:1149-160. doi:10.1534/g3.115.022129.
- Sander, S. E. and D. W. Hall. 2015. Variation in opsin genes correlates with signaling ecology in north American fireflies. Molecular Ecology 24:4679-95.
- Maynard, D. S., K. E. Leonard, J. M. Drake, D. W. Hall, T. W. Crowther and M. A. Bradford. 2015. Modelling the multidimensional niche by linking functional traits to competitive performance. Proceedings of the Royal Society B Vol. 282 No. 1118.
- Zhu, Y., M. L. Siegal, D. W. Hall, and D. A. Petrov. 2014. Reply to Chen and Zhang: On interpreting genome-wide trends from yeast mutation accumulation data. PNAS 111: E4063
- Zhu, Y., M. L. Siegal, D. W. Hall, and D. A. Petrov. 2014. Precise estimates of mutation rate and spectrum in yeast. PNAS 111: E2310–E2318.
- Hall, D. W., S. V. Yi, and M. A. D. Goodisman. 2013. Kin selection, genomics, and caste-antagonistic pleiotropy. Biology Letters 9: 20130309
- Hall, D. W., S. Fox, J. J. Kuzdzal-Fick, J.E. Strassmann And D. C. Queller. 2013. The Rate and Effects of Spontaneous Mutation on Fitness Traits in the Social Amoeba, Dictyostelium discoideum. Genes, Genomes, Genetics. doi: 10.1534/g3.113.005934
- Robinson, J.D., D.W. Hall, and J.P. Wares. 2013. Approximate Bayesian estimation of extinction rate in the Finnish Daphnia magna metapopulation. Molecular Ecology 22: 2627-2639.
- Hall, D.W. and M.L. Wayne. 2012. Ohno's "peril of hemizygosity" revisited: gene loss, dosage compensation, and mutation. Genome Biology and Evolution 5: 1-15. doi: 10.1093/gbe/evs106.
- Robinson, J.D., C.R. Haag, D.W. Hall, V.I. Pajunen, and J.P. Wares. 2012. Genetic estimates of population age in the Finnish Daphnia magna Straus, 1820 metapopulation: results from simulated and empirical datasets. Journal of Heredity. doi: 10.1093/jhered/ess063.
- Hall, D.W. and M.A.D. Goodisman. 2012. The effects of direct versus indirect selection and multiple mating on rates of molecular evolution in social insects. Evolution 66: 2080-2093.
- Jackwood, M.W., D.W. Hall, and A. Handel. 2012. Molecular evolution and emergence of gammacoronaviruses. Infection, Genetics and Evolution 12: 1305-1311.
- Zakas, C. and D.W. Hall. 2012. Asymmetric dispersal and the maintenance of larval dimorphism in the benthic polychaete Streblospio benedicti. Integrative and Comparative Biology 52: 197-212. doi: 10.1093/icb/ics055.
- Stanger-Hall, K.F. and Hall, D.W. 2011. Abstinence-only education and teen pregnancy rates: Why we need comprehensive sex education in the U.S. PLoS ONE 6(10): e24658. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0024658.
- Hall, D.W. and S.B. Joseph. 2010. A high frequency of beneficial mutations across multiple fitness components in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics 185: 1397-1409.
- Hall, D.W., M. Agan and S.C. Pope. 2010. Fitness epistasis among six biosynthetic loci in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Journal of Heredity 101: S75 - S84.
- Moorad, J.A. and D.W. Hall. 2009. Age-dependent mutational effects curtail the evolution of senescence by antagonistic pleiotropy. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22: 2409-2419.
- Moorad, J.A. and D.W. Hall. 2009. Mutation accumulation, soft selection, and the middle-class neighborhood. Genetics 182: 1387-1389.
- Hall, D.W., R. Mahmoudizad, A.W. Hurd and S.B. Joseph. 2008. Spontaneous mutations in diploid yeast: another thousand cell-generations. Genetical Research 90: 229-241.